Monday 29 February 2016

You Sent Me a Letter


Title: You Sent Me a Letter
Author: Lucy Dawson
Type: Paperback
Read: 18th February - 21st February 2016
Rating: 3/5
Published: 3rd March 2016 by Corvus

What if your worst enemy found out your darkest secret?
At 2 a.m. on the morning of her 40th birthday, Sophie wakes to find an intruder in her bedroom. The intruder hands Sophie a letter and issues a threat: open the letter at her party that evening, in front of family and friends, at exactly 8 p.m., or those she loves will be in grave danger.

What can the letter possibly contain?

This will be no ordinary party; Sophie is not the only person keeping a secret about the evening ahead. When the clock strikes eight, the course of several people's lives will be altered forever.

I was lucky enough to recieve a copy from Corvus in exchange for a review. I did like the build up to this book. A few days before I had recieved what seemed like a wedding invite through the post. I had to try and convince people it was book related and that I knew no-one of the name Sophie and Mark. The book arrived a few days afterwards.

The premis of the book is surrounding Sophie who on the eve of her birthday awakes to find someone in her room. They hand her an envelope and says to read it at 8pm under the clock with everyone listening. If Sophie tells anyone about the letter, then her family will suffer.
What sophie doesn't realise is that although its her 40th birthday party, it will be her wedding day to, thanks to her partner Mark. Who has planned it all without her knowledge.

I really did like the idea of the story line. I wanted to know what was in the letter and who actually was sending it to Sophie. Then we get all the mysterious text's, calls and stuff and it's does boarder on freaky.

At times though the story seemed to take forever to get somewhere. Sophie confessed to her younger sister of something she did and could only begin to think that as the reason she's being blackmailed. I loved her younger sister. She was fab. At times I didn't really like Sophies partner, Mark. He seemed so full on, and that even when I got to the end, I was still so unsure of ever liking him at all.

For me, the book got much better towards the end. I know some people could see who the blackmailer was. I totally had no clue. I wasn't suspecting this character at all. Which is why i enjoyed the end so much. It picked up pace and I needed to know more.

The main downside for me was the ending. I still have no idea how or why Mark did what he did with the children. I think to me, that was the part that didn't make sense. I did want the blackmailer to get their karma though.

A good read, but perhaps could have been given a little more umph!


Go Get it From: Amazon UKBook DepositoryWaterstones | Wordery
Follow @lucydawsonbooks

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment