Monday 28 December 2015

Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe

Title: Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe (At the Cupcake Cafe #2)
Author: Jenny Colgan
Type: Paperback
Read: 21st December - 28th December 2015
Rating: 3/5
Published: 10th October 2013 by Sphere

Issy Randall, proud owner of the Cupcake Cafe, is in love and couldn't be happier. Her new business is thriving and she is surrounded by close friends, even if her cupcake colleagues Pearl and Caroline aren't quite as upbeat about the upcoming season of snow and merriment. But when her boyfriend Austin is scouted for a possible move to New York, Issy is forced to face up to the prospect of a long-distance romance. And when the Christmas rush at the cafe - with its increased demand for her delectable creations - begins to take its toll, Issy has to decide what she holds most dear.

This was the last christmas book i could find on my shelf. So i decided to read it, upon realising i've had it on there for ages. The thing is, I have read a book by Jenny Colgan before, about Paris and a chocolate shop. So i knew what the author did. I also know this book is second in the Cupcake Cafe series, but the nice thing is, although helpful reading the first, the author actually writes a bit about the characters that will appear, what they did in the prior book, so you can understand it all.

Perhaps because I read it over christmas, I was in two minds about this book. I really wanted to like it. But then parts of me felt in dragged on, and i wanted it to move faster. I did like the story, the whole, shall we move to NYC because my boyfriend has a better job. But then I did think Austin was a numpty at times and really should just talk to Issy. Things get lost in translation and vast ocean doesn't help. My biggest gripe with him was when he sent Issy the cupcakes from NYC. Because every girl who owns a cupcake shop, wants them sent to her. I thought that was insensetive.

There was some lovely characters, Pearl being one and also Harriett. I loved both them for very different reasons. I did like the change of Caroline during the book from being a snooty to someone who actually appreciated what they had.

It was a good story and one to read about during christmas, the whole New York City thing just had me anyways, I love NYC, i love to be there at xmas. So Jenny wins on this.  


Go Get it From: Amazon UKBook DepositoryWaterstonesWordery 

No comments:

Post a Comment