Monday 13 July 2015

Concert: Bette Midler


Artist: Bette Midler
Tour: Divine Intervention
Location: Barclaycard Arena, Birmingham
Date: 9th July 2015

Bette Midler has never in my lifetime toured the UK. EVER. She's never even had to really. So when I found out last winter that there was going to be a tour, with a few dates in the UK, I was over the moon. The fact that one of those dates ended up being in Birmingham, was just awesome. Actually it was opening night of the UK leg of this tour. I just had to go.
The thing with tickets and me, is that they usually go on sale whilst I'm at work. This isn't a good mix. This time, it also co-insided with me going away for 10 days. But have and behold I got me two fantastic tickets. I grew up knowing who Bette Midler was, I loved her music and every year Hocus Pocus was watched at Halloween. So getting the chance to even be in the same arena as this icon was just amazing.

There was no support act. It's Bette Midler, a diva doesn't need anyone else to get the crowd going. The show was due to start at 8pm, and for unknown reasons, it was delayed until 8.30 ish give/take. But we didn't mind waiting. There was some impropt mexican waves, claps and the cheering to get people going. Lets just note, this wasn't a crowd of golden oldies, this was a mixture of all ages. But I think nearing the half hour delay people were getting impatient, so a few rows in front of where I was sitting, a lady randomly jumped up from her seat and started playing a ukuele (they were being sold, signed by Bette for £250!).. and singing a song, I couldn't quiet make out. But the crowd were loving this unknown person and she certainly made a few laugh. Then lights out.

Bette Midler is tiny. That was my first thought on seeing her on stage. Like I'm tiny (3ft8!) but she's adorable tiny, she's stunning. I also firmly believe Bette doesn't want to grow old ever. She wore the most lush pink dress, short, and looked amazing. But it's totally not something I would have thought she'd wear. But what do I know of glamour. The stage was simple, a live band and three back up singers/ dancers.

Bette has great stage presents, she knows how to work the crowd and pulls some cracking moves. If I can be like that at 69 I'd be bloody happy! There were mixtures of recent songs from her latest album 'It's the Girls' where Bette reinvents a number of wonderful songs by girl groups of late. It's a great album. And then during the second half of the show, Bette brings out the classics, the songs she is known and loved for.

One of my favourite parts of the show and as I've mentioned about Hocus Pocus is my favourite Halloween film, is a small section where Bette comes out in full costume of Winnie. The character she had played in Hocus Pocus, with a book of spells that she's hiding behind. And voila we have the performance of 'I Put A Spell On You'.... which i lost it. I love love love that film and the song is just oh-my-gosh. To get to see that performed live, is just surreal.

There is lots of interaction with the crowd, Bette doesn't deny herself a Diva, whilst she went on to sing 'The Rose' she had jokingly said to the crowd not to sing along as there was only room for one Diva in birmingham. Fun things about the show is that Bette tailors stuff to the cities/countries she's visiting. There was some jokes about Jamie Oliver, Jeremey Clarkson and Maggie Thatcher.. more so when we were introduced to Sofia and her jokes!

From seeing this show, watching and listening to Bette, she's probably one of the most loveliest singers I've ever had the chance to watch. I love how she came across as extremely grateful for the chance to perform and how her songs have insipred people, how they've used them to mark parts of their lives. This being very true for my family. The song 'Wind Beneath My Wings' was played at my Grandads funeral, 18years ago and its a very hard song for my mother to listen to. So when Bette sung it, my mother was in bits, its just a beautiful song.

Overall a cracking two hour show by someone who is stunning, fantastic and just utterly amazing. I wish I could see this show again, I wish i went a little crazy and booked meet and greet. But I got to see Bette Midler. I'll never be able to do that again, so I'm forever thankful for her to include us Brits on this tour.

Set Listing:
  1. Divine Intervention
  2. I Look Good
  3. I've Still Got My Health
  4. Do You Wanna Dance?
  5. Throw It Away
  6. Tell Him
  7. Bei Mir Bist Du Schon 
  8. Waterfalls
  9. Everybody Knows
  10. I Think It's Going To Rain Today
  11. I Put A Spell On You
  12. Yakety Sax
  13. Bird In The Hand
  14. A Visit From Soph
    1. RIP Delores
  15.  Beast of Burden
  16. Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most
  17. The Rose
  18. From A Distance
  19. Stay With Me
  20. Encore
    1. Wind Beneath My Wings
    2. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy
Some great merchandise on sale too. Reasonably priced too. There was a signed Ukuele up there for £250.00 - and they were selling! I got the traditional Programme, Teeshirt and a lovely Candle.


My only downer on the night was that we couldn't take photos, and all night the stewards had nothing better to do that to annoy people by shining torches into their faces. I think they eventually gave up, but I think for all shows, this isn't the first I've been to thats banned them. We're paying the money, its only fair we get to take a photo or two, nine times out of ten, they'll never come out great as we're so far back. But it's nice to try right?

These beauties below were borrowed off their relevent webpages...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/11728451/Bette-Midler-Birmingham-Barclaycard-Arena-review-The-comic-timing-of-Joan-Rivers-the-singing-voice-sass-of-Tina-Turner.html

No comments:

Post a Comment