Saturday 16 July 2016

How to Build A Girl

Title: How to Build A Girl
Author: Caitlin Moran
Type: Paperback
Read: 11th July - 16th July 2016
Rating: 3/5
Published: 9th April 2015 by Ebruy Press

My name’s Johanna Morrigan. I’m fourteen, and I’ve just decided to kill myself.
I don’t really want to die, of course! I just need to kill Johanna, and build a new girl. Dolly Wilde will be everything I want to be, and more! But as with all the best coming-of-age stories, it doesn’t exactly go to plan…

I have no idea if i liked this book or not. It seemed such a mish mash of writing. Story told from 14yo Johanna turned Dolly Wilde. It often jumps from one age to the next without realising so. I felt for the girl but i'm not sure how many people can really relate to a 14yo leaving school, turning to write reviews for a music magazine. How many places would acually do that now?

Theres lots of talk of sex and how Dolly discovers it and what she likes etc.. i did feel sorry for her ways of blocking out stuff when it happened, even if she didn't really want it. It seemed to take her foever to find her own voice of reasoning and not just go along with what the situation entailed.

One favourite character was Krissi. I did adore him so and towards the end when they're at the concert, i just felt so pleased for him. He had some cracking lines in the book.

I'm not sure i'd pick up this author again, but who knows.


Go get it From: Amazon UKBook DepositoryWaterstones | Wordery
Follow @caitlinmoran

No comments:

Post a Comment