Wednesday 20 January 2016

Concert: The Corrs


Artist: The Corrs
Tour: White Light Tour
Location: Genting Arena, Birmingham
Date: 19th January 2016

My first concert of 2016 and what a cracking one to start off with. The Corrs haven't toured together for over 10 years, and perhaps in the fashion of groups coming back together, they released a new album "White Light" and a tour to go with it. So i was straight on the computre with my millions of screens open just so i can get decent seats. I got them. Then Genting moved me because it wasn't a sell out. But it was still bloody brilliant.

The support act was 'The Shires' - I'm not sure who they are and were non the wiser after watching them. However they have had an album out so I don't think are brand new. They were good, sung some catchy country songs, so a pretty good act to start up with. 

When The Corrs were together years ago, I never seen them on tour. I wanted to just didnt' get around to it. So with this tour I was really excited. I made sure I brought their new album when it got released so to learn all the songs before the tour. Then i dusted off all the old albums and got listening to them. The Corrs are timeless. Their music doesn't seem to age at all and I can still remember singing in my bedroom as a teen to their songs thinking one day I could do that. I've not got a musical bone in my body!

The songs were a mixture of both old and new. I had my favourites and was hoping they'd perform them. The show started off with a white curtian hiding the stage and suddenly Caroline is projected on there playing the drums. Then the curtain falls and the group break into the song 'I Do What I Like'. The crowd was a mixed bag. I was thinking it would attract mid-thirties and stuff but there was some older folks too and they knew every word! 

Two highlights of the night for me was when they performed 'Runaway' a very classic song which everyone knows and the crowd sung it back to them. You could see Andrea's face glow - like a little kid in a candy shop. And also when they performed the song 'Ellis Island' from their lastest album. This song is just touching and heartbreaking. It's about the times when Irish imergrents went to the US to live but had to go via Ellis Island to be checked over. It just a beautiful song.

The Corrs very much stuck to their Irish roots, they perfomed a song in gaelic 'Buachaill Ón Éirne' which as a language is hard to say let alone sing. They also played some Irish instrumentals seeing as all four are talented musicians too.

The stage was very simple, just the band and a screen behind them which showed them. It was probably daunting for them, being away for 10 years and then selling out numerous arenas, to come back out. I think they did a cracking job and the audience loved them. If they just interact slightly more with them, they'll have a great rest of tour.

Set Listing:
  1. I Do What I Like
  2. Give Me A Reason
  3. Forgiven, Not Forgotten
  4. Bring On The Night
  5. What Can I Do
  6. Radio
  7. Lough Erin Shore / Trout In The Bath / Joy of Life
  8. Runaway
  9. With Me Stay
  10. Ellis Island
  11. Buachaill Ón Éirne
  12. Love To Love You
  13. Only When I Sleep
  14. Queen Of Hollywood
  15. Dreams
  16. Kiss Of Life
  17. I Never Really Loved You Anyway
  18. So Young
  19. Encore
    1. White Light
    2. Breathless
    3. Toss The Feather

No comments:

Post a Comment