Thursday 19 February 2015

The Best of Me

Title: The Best of Me
Author: Nicholas Sparks
Type: Paperback
Read: 13th February - 19th February
Rating: 3/5
Published: 26th August 2014 by Grand Central Publishing

"Everyone wanted to believe that endless love was possible. She'd believed in it once, too, back when she was eighteen."

In the spring of 1984, high school students Amanda Collier and Dawson Cole fell deeply, irrevocably in love. Though they were from opposite sides of the tracks, their love for one another seemed to defy the realities of life in the small town of Oriental, North Carolina. But as the summer of their senior year came to a close, unforeseen events would tear the young couple apart, setting them on radically divergent paths.

Now, twenty-five years later, Amanda and Dawson are summoned back to Oriental for the funeral of Tuck Hostetler, the mentor who once gave shelter to their high school romance. Neither has lived the life they imagined . . . and neither can forget the passionate first love that forever changed their lives. As Amanda and Dawson carry out the instructions Tuck left behind for them, they realize that everything they thought they knew -- about Tuck, about themselves, and about the dreams they held dear -- was not as it seemed. Forced to confront painful memories, the two former lovers will discover undeniable truths about the choices they have made. And in the course of a single, searing weekend, they will ask of the living, and the dead: Can love truly rewrite the past?

I just love books by Nicholas Sparks, its my aim to read them all eventually. However this one, it wasn't or didn't appear to be as good as previous books. I'm not sure why and I can't put my finger on what it was that made me feel so uninterested.
It has your romanace and drama and the happy ish ever after ending. But something didn't feel right, perhaps it was all the evil-ness of two characters that for me, didn't fit in with the usual books Nicholas writes.
Or perhaps it just didn't flow great and I wanted to just be done with it. I'm not sure. It annoys me so. But I did love Dawson as a character, he was just a wee hunk. He came from the wrong family and fell in love with a girl on the opposite side of the track. But life moves on, history doesn't always have a way of leaving things behind.
Oh i also loved Tuck. Yes, i wish i had a grampa like him, someone with so much history and knowledge.

I'm sure others will love the book, it just wasn't for me.
 


Go get it from: Amazon UK | Book Depository | Waterstones 

No comments:

Post a Comment