Thursday 12 February 2015

A Single Breath

Title: A Single Breath
Author: Lucy Clarke
Type: Paperback
Read: 6th February - 12th February
Rating: 4/5
Published: 27th March 2014 by Harper

The deeper the water, the darker the secrets

There were so many times I thought about telling you the truth, Eva. What stopped me was always the same thing…

When Eva’s husband Jackson tragically drowns, she longs to meet his estranged family. The journey takes her to Jackson’s brother’s doorstep on a remote Tasmanian island. As strange details about her husband’s past begin to emerge, memories of the man she married start slipping through her fingers like sand, as everything she ever knew and loved about him is thrown into question. Now she’s no longer sure whether it was Jackson she fell in love with – or someone else entirely…

The truth is, it was all a lie . . .
 

I won this book as a prize on twitter over christmas, along with two others. This is the first in the set i've read.
The basis of the story is good,although i thought it started off really slow and Eva kind of annoyed me which i can't pinpoint as to why. But it gradually grew and towards the end I didn't want to put it down.
I did guess some of the story though halfway through or at least I had an idea of what was due to happen, which is a shame as i like the element of surprise. There are some great descriptions of the area of which Eva visited to understand Jacksons past. Tasmania sounds like a really wonderful place to visit.
I think my favourite character was Saul, Jacksons brother. He had this claming nature about him and i genuinly believe he loved Eva towards the end. It was tough for him.
The end left me confused, I'm really not sure in the end what decision Eva made. Perhaps thats good, we can decide ourselves what happened.

Overall an enjoyable read. 


Go get it from: Amazon UK Book Depository Waterstones

No comments:

Post a Comment