Saturday 13 May 2017

Wonder

Title: Wonder
Author: R.J. Palacio
Type: Paperback
Read: 19th March - 26th March 2017 {Re-Read}
Rating: 5/5
Published: 3rd January 2013 by Corgi Childrens

I won't describe what I look like. Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.
August (Auggie) Pullman was born with a facial deformity that prevented him from going to a mainstream school—until now. He's about to start 5th grade at Beecher Prep, and if you've ever been the new kid then you know how hard that can be. The thing is Auggie's just an ordinary kid, with an extraordinary face. But can he convince his new classmates that he's just like them, despite appearances?


Shall we make a new rule of life… always try to be a little kinder than is necessary?
Wonder. This book is wonderful. I can’t really describe it. It’s perfect and I think everyone should read it. It’s simple. The chapters are barely three/four pages long at most. It’s written from various characters view point.

All the back of the book states is ‘My name is August. I won’t describe what I look like. Whatever you’re thinking, it’s probably worse’. That is all we have to go on, to even understand what this story could be about. It’s not a story where the main character wants sympathy. They just want to be accepted. This story touched me in so many ways. I was born with a disability, it doesn’t effect anything other than my height. But i’ve had my whole life of people looking, staring and just making a song and dance about something I am unable to control. So yes, this really touched me in a way that meant I could really associate with the main character. But I could also understand what other people were seeing too. And yes I did cry.

I don’t have a favourite character from the book, I loved them all. Summer was just a girl who I wished I had as a friend growing up. And Jack, he was certainly a dude I’d love to have around me. I found my humor was very much like Auggies, it’s better to make jokes at your own expense to ease peoples minds than for them to make at you.

I could go on and on about this. I won’t. You should just read it. Learn that not everyone is as they seem. Appearances do not make for the person underneath.

And remember, choose kind.
 


Go Get it From: Amazon UKBook Depository Waterstones | Wordery
Follow @RJPalacio 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment